Here I have some notes about Form 1 novel - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (Jules Verne)
The story of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea begins in the year 1866. Mysterious events at sea which take place in July 1866 have been damaging steamers and passenger ships. Prof. Aronnax, a famous scientist and expert on undersea life is invited to join a special mission on the Abraham Lincoln, a warship sent to hunt for the sea creature that has been sinking ships in the ocean. Joining Prof. Aronnax on the mission are Conseil, his manservant and Ned Land, the 'prince of harpooners'.
The crew on the Abraham Lincoln looks for the sea creature in the Atlantic Ocean for three months. As everyone begins to doubt the existence of the sea monster, Ned spots it in the ocean. It has the shape of a fish with a shiny black body and is around 250 feet long. the crew starts firing their cannons but fails to cause any damage. The sea creature then crashes into the Abraham Lincoln and Prof Aronnax falls overboard. Conseil jumps into the sea to save him. The two of them are saved by Ned and later find themselves sitting on top of the sea creature, which is actually a submarine.
Several submarine crewmen lock Prof Aronnax, Conseil and Ned in a prison. After three days being locked up, they meet Captain Nemo, the commander of the Nautilus. The men are treated well by Captain Nemo and they are allowed to wander around the submarine. Prof Aronnax are amazed to see more than 12,000 books in the library and collection from the sea.
Captain Nemo takes Prof Aronnax and Conseil on a hunting expedition in the Forest of Crespo Island. One day, the Nautilus get stuck on a rock at the Torres Strait, which separates Australia and New Guinea. Prof Aronnax, Conseil and Ned Land went to the land to hunt for meat but they are attacked by cannibal savages. They escape and return to the Nautilus.
On one particular day, when they are in the Indian Ocean, Captain Nemo locked Prof Aronnax, Conceil and Ned in cell. The three of them fall asleep after eating their food. The next morning, Prof Aronnax is asked by Captain Nemo to look at the severely injured crewman, who later dies and buried in an underground cemetery.
Near the island of Ceylon, the men go pearl diving. Captain Nemo saves an East Indian pearl diver from shark but later he has to be saved by Ned when the shark attacks him. At Vigo Bay, Prof Aronnax witnesses the crewmen of Nautilus taking the treasure from the sunken Spanish ships. Captain Nemo then brings Prof Aronnax to visit the lost world of Atlantis. While leaving the South Pole, the Nautilus is trapped in the ice tunnel for two days. They almost run out of oxygen and as the last resort, Captain Nemo rams the Nautilus into the iceberg to crack the thick layer of ice to escape.
When the Nautilus is near the Ireland coast, it is attacked by a warship. Ned tried to signal the warship with a handkerchief but is stopped by Captain Nemo. Then Captain Nemo instructs to dive and ram the warship. Prof Aronnax is horrified with Captain Nemo's decision to sink the warship. One night, Ned, Conceil and Prof Aronnax get into the boat to escape from the Nautilus but they are caught in violent whirlpool. When Prof Aronnax awakes, he finds himself in a fisherman's cottage with Conseil and Ned. The ending of the story sees Prof Aronnax narrating his experience on the Nautilus and wondering Captain Nemo and submarine survived the whirlpool.
a) Time setting
- 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea begins in the year 1866.
b) Physical setting
Prof Aronnax’s home
The Abraham Lincoln, a warship
- Prof Aronnax studies the different sea accidents caused by the sea monster.
- After coming to the conclusion that the sea monster is actually a narwhal, he receives an invitation by the United States government to hunt for the sea creature that has been attacking the passengers ship and steamers.
The Abraham Lincoln, a warship
- It is the start of the adventure for Prof Aronnax, Conseil and Ned Land.
- Prof Aronnax and Conseil are introduced to Ned Land.
- Ned spots the sea monster in the ocean.
- Prof Aronnax, Conseil and Ned realise that the sea creature is actually a submarine.
- Prof Aronnax tried to communicate with Captain Nemo but is ignored.
- Prof Aronnax, Conseil and Ned are captured and put in cell for a few days.
- Captain Nemo shows Prof Aronnax around the Nautilus.
- Prof Aronnax, Conseil and Ned go hunting for meat.
- Just before they are about to eat the meat, they are attacked by the cannibals.
- Prof Aronnax, Conseil and Ned work together to escape from island and with the help from Captain Nemo they are saved.
- Captain Nemo brings Prof Aronnax, Conseil and Ned to go diving for pearls.
- Captain Nemo tries to save an East Indian pearl diver from being attacked by a shark.
- Ned Killed the shark that was trying to attack Captain Nemo.
- The crewmen of Nautilus collect treasures from the sunken ship at Vigo Bay.
- The Nautilus is trapped in an ice tunnel to for two days.
- Captain Nemo crashes the crashes the Nautilus into the ice tunnel to free itself.
- The Nautilus is attacked by a warship.
- Ned Land tries to signal the warship as he still wants to escape from Nautilus but he is stopped by Captian Nemo.
- The Nautilus then rams the hull of the warship, causing it to sink.
- Prof Aronnax, Conseil and Ned Land escape from the Nautilus and awakes at the fisherman's cottage.